ssh2 and multiheaded X

Dan Foster dsf at frontiernet.net
Wed Sep 22 16:24:30 EST 1999

Hot Diggety! On a bright and sunny day, Michel Lanners was rumored to have said.

> On  21 Sep, this message from Doomsday Machine echoed through cyberspace:
> >
> > Greetings all-
> >     Has anyone successfully compiled ssh2 or gotten some version of
> > multiheaded X working?  ssh1 is pretty useless, since any machine not
> > running linuxppc is running ssh2, not ssh1.

1. ssh2 daemon has a ssh v1 compatibility mode that can be enabled.

2. there is no real intrinsic difference in running ssh v2 over v1;
v2 just has tighter licensing requirements. v1 code has been pored over
line by line after that bad scare (but later turned out to be unfound)
around 1.2.25 and a break-in of a key site.

Of course, neither helps much if a site has chosen to use v2 everywhere :-)

That said, I'm not running a recent version of LinuxPPC so I can't really
tell what exactly is broken at the moment. Sorry.

-Dan