New booter

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 16 09:10:08 EST 1999

In message <v04210102b405ce2cdefb@[192.168.0.1]> Ethan Benson
<erbenson at alaska.net> wrote:

[about LILO]:
> it boots very cleanly on x86, booting linux instead of windows is
> complete non issue there.
>
> BIOS loads the bootblock from boot disk or if one does not exist it
> looks for a partition marked bootable in the partition table and
> loads the bootblock from that.  the BIOS knows NOTHING about ANY
> filesystem not ext2 not FAT, NTFS, DOSfs, not HFS.  lilo works
> wonderfully, and does not require its very own partition in a
> specific filesystem format to work. *I* think this is a very clean
> way to boot it allows the replacement of the filesystem without
> anything more then a update to lilo at most.  not a whole new machine

Furthermore, LILO provides with a lot of interesting  options  rarely
used  but  very  powerful  (and  *very* useful for embedded systems):
password protection,  selection  of  alternate  boot  arguments  with
automatic fallback if booting fails etc.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Old programmers never die, they just branch to a new address.