New booter

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at sonycom.com
Thu Sep 16 18:16:22 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> [about LILO]:
> > it boots very cleanly on x86, booting linux instead of windows is
> > complete non issue there.
> >
> > BIOS loads the bootblock from boot disk or if one does not exist it
> > looks for a partition marked bootable in the partition table and
> > loads the bootblock from that.  the BIOS knows NOTHING about ANY
> > filesystem not ext2 not FAT, NTFS, DOSfs, not HFS.  lilo works
> > wonderfully, and does not require its very own partition in a
> > specific filesystem format to work. *I* think this is a very clean
> > way to boot it allows the replacement of the filesystem without
> > anything more then a update to lilo at most.  not a whole new machine
>
> Furthermore, LILO provides with a lot of interesting  options  rarely
> used  but  very  powerful  (and  *very* useful for embedded systems):
> password protection,  selection  of  alternate  boot  arguments  with
> automatic fallback if booting fails etc.

If you want a LILO for PPC, please don't start from the PC LILO sources, but
from the m68boot packages. Amiga-Lilo (which I wrote, BTW :-) uses the same
principles as the PC LILO, but it is cleaner, has a simpler to understand
configuration file and a small boot monitor (which can be extended) that can be
protected with a password.

BTW, the main trouble with LILO is that you're hosed if you update your kernel
without rerunning LILO since LILO keeps track of the physical blocks. I
circumvent that problem by having (on my Amiga):

    /boot/vmlinuz -> /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.6
    /boot/test -> /boot/vmlinuz-2.3.16a

After compiling a new kernel, I copy it to /boot (using a new name, of course),
update the symlinks and rerun LILO. If I forget (one of) the last two steps,
nothing bad happens.

IMHO the best thing would be something like MILO on the Alpha. MILO is a
small binary that contains device drivers and filesystems taken from the
standard Linux kernel sources. Hence MILO knows about e.g. your ext2fs
partition and fancy U2W-SCSI adapter. On Alpha the MILO binary is put on a
MSDOS formatted partition. On PPC, you could store it on either a HFS or MSDOS
formatted partition, or use a LILO-alike scheme (raw-blocks). Even BootX could
load MILO under MacOS, if you want that.

Combined, you would have a shared `high-level' booter, which is called by
different `low-level' booters (FS (HFS/MSDOS), raw-blocks, BootX), depending on
your taste and architecture:

 +-----------------+
 +-----------------+    |
 +-----------------+    +---->|      |
 +-----------------+    +---->|      |      <kernel anywhere on FS>
 +-----------------+    |
 | BootX           +----+
 +-----------------+

Doing it this way, even the raw-blocks LILO stuff can get rid of its main
disadvantage: since the LILO/MILO part is `static', you don't have to rerun
LILO when upgrading your kernel, only after installing/upgrading MILO. So
chances that you screw up are smaller, since MILO knows your FS and can boot
any old kernel on your disks in an emergency.

Comments?

Greetings,

						Geert

--