A question about zImage when booting from HD

Hewitt Ian-MCG30344 Ian.Hewitt at motorola.com
Fri Sep 10 06:28:43 EST 1999

   Hello,

     I have seen this on our boards in the lab and at customers.
It seems to be related to left over data on the drive.  In other
words, if you have a disk with this problem and you zero out the
beginning of the disk (by specifically writing blocks of 0's to
the drive for the first couple hundred blocks), this issue goes
away.  I have not had any time to track down why this is a problem,
but obviously some non zero value in an inopportune place is
causing a problem.  Either in the partition table, of the
boot block of the partition. (Of course, I always use /dev/sda1
as the boot partition, so my above fix didn't help narrow that
down any)

     Unfortunately, this is very destructive (unless you do it
when installing), you could experiment with less brute force
methods.  I would be curious to know what you find out.  Good Luck.

Ian Hewitt
Systems Engineer
Motorola Computer Group