help, ridiculous load average causes crash...

P. Barrette barretp at mcmail.cis.McMaster.CA
Fri Sep 10 04:46:35 EST 1999

Hi,
I've been having periodic crashing lately on my 7200/120 40 RAM running R5
with
the 2.2.2 and now the 2.2.12 kernels.  I have been logging uptimes via
cron hourly and whenever the uptime gets near 2.9 or so everything crashes
and reboots.
Now, there is no reason (that I can see) to have such a high load average,
I routinely have load averages of 1.4 with nothing but X and two Eterms
running, and then just sitting idly!  After booting load average is 2.2 +
and performance is a bit sluggish.  I'm not sure what the cause is, I
haven't got anything strange going on:
httpd
atalkd
autofs
I don't run gnome, just enlightenment which I compiled myself.  My eterms
are semi trans parent, but this happens without them too, so I don[t know
about that.

Any ideas?  e.g. switch to YDL?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

--------
Paul Barrette
Ph.D. Candidate Classics (Latin Literature)
System Administrator
McMaster University

"Oppositaque ad os manu nescio quid taetrum
exsibilavit, quod postea Graecum esse affirmabat."
                                      --Petronius