Kernel debugging??

Andreas Tobler a.tobler at schweiz.ch
Wed Nov 17 03:03:20 EST 1999

Hi Ani,

Ani Joshi wrote:

> andreas,
>         since you're on a powermac and using BootX, you can use
> prom_print() to print debuging info before start_kernel, there after you

This what I'm doing now.
But I feel a bit lost when it goes into asm.

> can just use printk().  instead of putting a million prints all over the
> place, you should look at the patches between 2.3.25-2.3.28 and see what
> was changed in ppc/kernel or ppc/mm ,

This I also did, on the mm side do I have to include both mm and
arch/ppc/mm?
Here many changes happened.

> i've booted 2.3.25 on my 7200
And I could boot a stock 2.3.26 with changes in asm-ppc/fcntl.h
(O_LARGEFILE ....)

>but i have had no time lately to try 2.3.28, perhaps
> later today i will work on it.

On my side it's mostly a question of learning, a fixed problem is nice,
a self found and fixed problem is even nicer :-)

Thanks for your hints

Andreas