Mac-on-Linux

Samuel Rydh samuel at ibrium.se
Sun May 23 03:37:19 EST 1999

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 09:35:21PM -0500, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> Quick question: what is the nature of the kernel support for mac-on-linux?
> Some folks in the MkLinux camp have been discussing writing equivalent
> 2.0.xx kernel code that works through mach.  I know that it will likely
> need to be able to map the ROMs into user space.  I also suspect that
> handling code (which could be very messy, but we'll cross that bridge when
> we get to it) and possibly the memory management code.  Beyond that, what
> other hurdles are there?

The Mac-on-Linux kernel support code has in principle the following
tasks:

  - Emulate privileged instructions.
  - Handle the MMU (maps ROM, RAM etc.)

The implementation is primarily based upon hooks in the
low-level exception handlers. Besides this, the interaction
with the kernel has been kept at a minimum.

I believe the exception hooks must be put into the
mach kernel - possibly it is easiest to put all code
there.

/Samuel