2.2.9 patch for Motorola support.

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Wed Jun 9 18:39:44 EST 1999

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, David De Ridder wrote:

> I have a suggestion for your PRePboot patches. (I don't know whether you've
> already incorporated it in the latest patch, since I don't have access to
> the patched source tree right now).
>
> It's something that could make people using root NFS on MVME boards (like
> the MVME230x series) happy and their lives easier ;-)
>
> You could do something like (in pseudo-C) :
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_ROOT_NFS
>  strcpy(kernelarguments,"console=ttyS0 root=/dev/nfs");
> #else
>  strcpy(kernelarguments,"console=ttyS0");
> #endif
>
> As I said, I don't have the sources right now, but I think
> you see what I mean. This way people who use NFS for their
> root file system do not have to type "root=/dev/nfs".
> It's hardly a 'patch', but it could make life easier...

Indeed, but I was rather thinking of stealing some of Corey's patches
and use a global NVRAM variable which you can set with GEVEDIT under
PPCbug.

The only minor problem I have with his patch is that it uses the name
'bootargs' which is a standard OF parameter AFAIR. But what if you want to
switch between various OS ?  I would rather have used linux-bootargs or
something like that to avoid possible confusion.

	Regards,
	Gabriel.