Porting to NuBus PowerMacs

Dan Malek dmalek at jlc.net
Wed Jan 13 15:17:25 EST 1999

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> That was the original idea, but several things makes me wonder if it
> wouldn't be simpler to just pass a list of known infos (total ram size,
> processor type, machine ID and a couple of baseaddresses) to the kernel
> and almost-hard-code things in drivers since this hardware will not
> evolve very much now ;-)

This is what we do with the embedded LinuxPPC ports now.
The data structure is a combination of things the boot rom gives
us and other configuration tidbits the Linux boot loader can find.
It wouldn't be hard to expand this to other systems.

The next challenge would be to support OF fucntions (like find_devices(), etc.)
for those drivers that run on both platforms.  As the embedded systems
mature, we may soon be doing this.......

    -- Dan