Porting to NuBus PowerMacs

Hubert Figuiere Hubert.Figuiere at solsoft.fr
Wed Jan 13 20:40:26 EST 1999

According to Benjamin Herrenschmidt <bh40 at calva.net>:

> >-we have the source of the Mach MicroKernel, hence we have enough
> > to rewrite the specification to rewrite drivers for LinuxPPC.
> > Some components and drivers may directly come from Linux Mac68k.
>
> We have also a lot of potentially useful things in the mac68k and APUS ports.
>
> >Note that I don't have a NuBus PowerMac. Only a 6200 (and my
> >PowerCenter Pro, already supported).
>
> ;-)

I'm investigating the possibilities to support 5200/6200 (and its
little brother 5300/6300) just because this machine is:

a) not supported by either MkLinux or LinuxPPC
b) I have one (in fact my fiancee has it).

There are several custom chips inside (like on any other Mac).
First the big problem is that 6200 is a PowerPC inside a 68040
machine. It uses a "CAPELLA" custom chip as a bus translation
unit. This may be a problem since I don't think it is used in any
supported PowerMac.

RAM: 2 simm slot on a 68040 data bus.

Video: It is a "Valkyrie" Chip using a DRAM frame buffer. If I
remember, Valkyrie is available in several PowerMacs and is
already supported.

Memory Controller: it is a "F108" as in the LC 630 (ses Linux 68k
port) that also handles IDE, SCSI and SCC serial ports. SCSI in
this chip is a NCR 53C96. SCC is like the 8530 SCC (that we find
in several Macs too).

ADB: "CUDA" chip similar to several 68k Mac. Accessed thru the
"PrimeTime II". It is the 68HC05 and also handles PRAM, RTC,
power supply control.

Sound: a "DFAC II" chip.

Other: "PRIMETIME II" chip manages SWIM II, VIA1, VIA2, sound
controller and I/O bus adpater. Manages ADB sounds, CommSlot, PDS.

You can find the technote here:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/hardware2.html

Note that I have no porting experience. :-)

Hub
--
> Je souhaiterais essayer Internet Explorer 4.0 sous Linux.
> Il existe 2 versions: une sous HP/UX et une sous Solaris
> Laquelle dois je utiliser?
-+- MJM in Guide du linuxien pervers : "Choisir son environnement" -+-