Porting to NuBus PowerMacs

David A. Gatwood marsmail at globegate.utm.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:12:46 EST 1999

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> That was the original idea, but several things makes me wonder if it
> wouldn't be simpler to just pass a list of known infos (total ram size,
> processor type, machine ID and a couple of baseaddresses) to the kernel
> and almost-hard-code things in drivers since this hardware will not
> evolve very much now ;-)

RAM chips on that machine are... according to a reliable source... aligned
on 64 meg boundaries, and are thought to be mirrored throughout that bank
if they're <64 megs.  Question is... what happens if a bank isn't filled.
This is left as an exercise for the reader.  But determining the memory
layout is critical to getting it working.  I'm hoping that I can get that
bit of code from the MkLinux booter, but I'm not making any promises.

> Basically, I have to provide him a version of BootX that works on those
> machines and provide the requested infos. I didn't have time to work a
> lot on BootX those few last days, but I think I'll send him something
> around the end of the week, maybe next week.

Also, please pass the machine gestalt (for model detection), video
address, processor speed, and a flattened OF tree, if you could (and if
you aren't already).  That would ease porting the Mach MK to BootX-style
booting (which is basically the only way MkLinux will ever run on iMacs
and the new G3 MiniTower machines, unless we add OF booting, which I don't
want to muck with right now).

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood at globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624