Pre-Rc Install

Beecher Greenman rbg6038 at ritvax.isc.rit.edu
Sat Jan 9 08:40:03 EST 1999

I'm on a rev3 G3/300 desktop with the standard video (though I put four
more megs of VRAM in it), 64 MB RAM, and 128M swap. I'm trying to install
LinuxPPC Pre-R5 on an internal 2 GB hard drive which already has R4
installed (I can stand to format the drive if need be). Anyway, when I
went to try running the installer, I ren into a few problems...

1) The kernel rejects the live installer out of hand. It claims there's
something wrong with the ramdisk image, giving about 5 gazillion errors
to that effect and then halting the boot process (though the kernel does
not appear to freeze).
2) FTP install doesn't work from ftp.linuxppc.org or biggi.linuxppc.org,
under DHCP or static IP.
3) I managed to download the RedHat directory from biggi.linuxppc.org and
put it on an external SCSI hard drive. When I try to mount it in the
installer, however, I get an "invalid argument" error and can't proceed
any further. Note that when running under LinuxPPC R4 this drive mounts
just fine.

After seeing the large number of e-mails about this install process on
the list, I figured I'm doing something wrong, but none of the mails
appear to match up with this situation. Anyone have any ideas? Also, is
there a HOWTO anywhere on the Net about this? Thanks!

-Beecher Greenman