ixmicro ix3d card support

Brett Dikeman brett at pdikeman.ne.mediaone.net
Thu Feb 18 13:09:04 EST 1999

I'm having some problems with the latest kernels supporting my ix3d card.

According to ixMicro documentation and the big central chip's
stamping "Twin Turbo 128-3D", my ixMicro Ultimate Rez card is really
just a slightly faster tt128 card with some 3D stuff thrown in for
yucks.

However, the card, if present in the system when the kernel loads,
causes -severe- problems.  The last line displayed concerns the
discovery+initialization of the floppy controller; then it spits out
"machine check in kernel mode" and lots of stuff about the memory
manager and "swapper".
(I have a photograph of the screen I took with a digital camera, so I
can copy down the info or just post the JPG on my web server.)

>From all appearances, adding support for the ix3d card seems like it
would require very little work since it is so similar to a twin turbo
card, but I'm admittedly ignorant as to the finer details(or any
details) of graphics card drivers :)

Once I complete an install of linux(had to blow it away months ago,
never got around to replacing it) I can boot without the card, and
help in testing anything in development for the card by swapping it
in and out.

What would help considerably is a way to get the kernel to just
ignore the ix3d card and use my 8500's builtin video instead.  Some
sort of OF trick, maybe?

BTW, at the moment, I'm not subbed to the developer list.  I will
certainly be doing so in the next few days, but in the meantime,
please cc me on any messages regarding this.

Final note: I also have a PCI jackhammer SE card, identical to the
one in many Workgroup servers and other apple systems.  Can't beat
$150 for UW-SCSI3, and it would be -fantastic- to have my UW drive
available.  I sort of assumed that with this card being in so many
apple systems, that there would already be drivers for it.  Are there?

Thanks all!

Brett
----
Brett Dikeman