R5 Install (Mostly) Successful on PBG3

Jeff Rugen jrugen at primenet.com
Fri Feb 12 09:51:00 EST 1999

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, root wrote:

> There were a few failures during intstall.  The main problem I have is
> that RPM doesn't work; any attempt to use it returns an error
> "//var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm: Invalid argument"

The problem seems to be the R4 RPM database and the pre-R5 RPM database are
incompatible with each other.  I manually removed all the /var/lib/rmp/*
files (well, i copied them off) and reinstalled -- it created a new RPM
database that works.  However, I was left with a ton of files from R4 rpms,
that were no longer needed and I had to remove manually.

I did write a script that would return 0 if the file passed in as a name was
listed in the RPM database, and -1 otherwise, then used the script in a find
command to list all the non-RPM files.  I ran it overnight -- ended up with
thousands of files, and manually deleted large chunks of them.

Be _very_ careful doing this.  Sometimes you'll get RPMs that don't indicate
that a directory is part of the distribution, so you'll see directory names
you think you can delete.  You don't want to do that. :-)

Jeff Rugen                      jrugen at primenet.com

...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you
would not have been informed.