PPC Kernel Gurus Help?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Wed Apr 14 23:37:26 EST 1999

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999, Paul Mackerras <paulus at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> >I hope Apple's implementation is just overkill.  The linuxthreads
>> >pt-machine.h file in both glibc 1.99 and glibc 2.1 do not have the extra
>> >isyncs (they just use sync both before and after the routine).  They also
>> >do not align things to cache boundaries.  To do that we would have to
>> >change the sem_t because both the spinlock and the semaphore value are
>> >side by side and both are accessed this way meaning that sem_t would have
>> >to be 32 byte aligned and take up 64 bytes to be safe (32 for the
>> >semaphore and 32 for the spinlock).
>
>Does it use lwarx/stwcx. to access both the spinlock and the
>semaphore?  If so that could possibly cause a problem if they are in
>the same cache line (strictly, "reservation granule").

Don't care about what I said, I was just plain wrong (still having
trouble with PPC assembly...). Apple's implementation doesn't watch for
32 byte alignement but for 4 byte alignement, which is a lot more
understandable.

If I understand things correctly, however, there is still a potential
problem in MP, if two atomics are in the same granule, and two processors
are trying to use them at the same time. I beleive we should make sure
the kernel's atomic type takes a whole granule (cache line).

--
           E-Mail: <mailto:bh40 at calva.net>
BenH.      Web   : <http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/>