Complete fix for PB 2400 16-bit video problem

Ted Whalen tew at nwu.edu
Wed Dec 16 08:48:20 EST 1998

David Ray wrote:
> The new XF68_FBDev just released from the xfree86 site still fails in
> 16 bit mode. This is not a color balance problem, but something more
> serious. It looks like only half the screen is trying to be
> initialized while the bottom half still shows a "compressed" display
> of the console. After about a second, X fails and exits.

I had this problem too, and I realized that it was due to the
hard-coded video ram setting in chipsfb.c -- it assumes 468k of vram,
when in fact most machines have more.  To get around this, use the
following diff.

diff -r1.16 chipsfb.c
553c553
< 	p->fix.smem_len = 800 * 600;
---
> 	p->fix.smem_len = 1024 * 1024; /* 800 * 600 */

However, even with this fix -- which provides the 1mb of vram I so
richly deserve, the colors are screwy.

tew
--
             Is "Princess" your real name?