Complete fix for PB 2400 16-bit video problem

David Ray daver at idiom.com
Mon Dec 14 10:03:02 EST 1998

Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back to the list with a status on the chipsfb.c driver.

I want to thank Tim for his enormous help with the Chips 65550 video driver on the Powerbook 2400. I confirmed what a couple other readers already posted. The diff that Tim develped definitely fixes all vodeo problems in X at all depths, and improves the video problem while in 16-bit mode on the console. Thanks, Tim!

I'm booting from quik, not using anything special in my boot settings and not using BootX. I compiled the 2.1.130 kernel to use the custom fb8 and fb16 values. The startup messages indicate it is recognizing the driver as Chips 65550. Xpmac that was developed for the pb2400/3400 now works fine in all depths.

It appears that the 16-bit in the console still has some problems. The color balance is off, but useable. Red is too bright and blue is too dim. I use a custom prompt that uses ansi colors so the color balance at the console is more apparent on my system than on one that just uses white characters.

The new XF68_FBDev just released from the xfree86 site still fails in 16 bit mode. This is not a color balance problem, but something more serious. It looks like only half the screen is trying to be initialized while the bottom half still shows a "compressed" display of the console. After about a second, X fails and exits.

As usual, let me know if there is any information I can collect that would be useful in debugging these problems.

Cheers-

Dave
daver at idiom.com