PReP RTC vs Decrementer accuracy...

Guy G. Sotomayor, Jr. ggs at shiresoft.com
Fri Dec 11 06:26:50 EST 1998

Dan Malek wrote:

> Guy G. Sotomayor, Jr. wrote:
>
> > Umm, but why are you keeping track of time with the decrementer?
>
> Because that is the way it was done when I first looked at the kernel
> a long time ago :-).
>
> > .....use the timebase to keep track of time and the decrementer
> > to deliver periodic interrupts?
>
> Excellent idea.  I have started to implement this on an MPC8xx board,
> so I will let everyone know the results pretty quickly.
>
> It appears the TB is part of every PPC core.  If anyone knows different
> please let me know.

I haven't looked into how the various Linux ports deal with time, but back
when I was doing microkernel work (for a large computer company with a 3
letter name) this is how we kept time since all of the processors we were
dealing with had a time base or its moral equivalent.  This was necessary
since we didn't use the decrementer to deliver fixed period interrupts and
trying keep time from drifting would have been hard.

TTFN - Guy