PReP RTC vs Decrementer accuracy...

Dan Malek dmalek at jlc.net
Fri Dec 11 04:53:36 EST 1998

Guy G. Sotomayor, Jr. wrote:

> Umm, but why are you keeping track of time with the decrementer?

Because that is the way it was done when I first looked at the kernel
a long time ago :-).

> .....use the timebase to keep track of time and the decrementer
> to deliver periodic interrupts?

Excellent idea.  I have started to implement this on an MPC8xx board,
so I will let everyone know the results pretty quickly.

It appears the TB is part of every PPC core.  If anyone knows different
please let me know.

    -- Dan