[RFC v4] V4L DT bindings

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Sat Aug 25 09:27:16 EST 2012

Hi all

After an initial RFC [1] and taking into consideration an even earlier
patch-set [2], Sylwester and I have spent some time discussing V4L DT
bindings, below is a result of those discussions.

We have chosen to try to design a DT example, documentation and
implementation should follow. I'll try to bring together just several most
important points, that might not be immediately obvious from the example.

1. Sylwester has initially designed his patches around a concept of a
central "video" node, that contains (references to) all video devices on
the system. This might make finding all relevant components easier and
should make power management more readily available. In the below example
such a node is missing. For now we decided not to require one, but systems
may choose to use them. Support for them might be added to the V4L DT
subsystem later.

2. The below example contains the following 4 components:
   (a) an SoC bridge (CEU node "ceu0 at 0xfe910000"), note, that the bridge
       is also providing a master clock "mclk: master_clock" to sensors
   (b) a CSI-2 interface "csi2: csi2 at 0xffc90000", that can be used with
       the above bridge
   (c) an I2C parallel camera sensor "ov772x_1: ov772x at 0x21"
   (d) an I2C serial (MIPI CSI-2) camera sensor "imx074: imx074 at 0x1a"

3. Linking of various components follows the V4L2 MC concept: each video
node can contain "xxx: videolink at x" child nodes. These nodes specify the
opposite end of the link and a local pad configuration. This is required,
because two linked pads might require different configuration. E.g., if
the board contains an inverter in the camera vertical sync line,
respective pads have to be configured with opposite vsync polarities.

4. In the below example the following links are defined:
   (a) "ov772x_1_1: videolink at 1" is a child of the CEU node, it links the
       CEU with the ov772x sensor.
   (b) "csi2_0: videolink at 0" is also child of the CEU node, it links the
       CEU with the CSI-2 module. Note, that this link might not be
       necessary, since this is an SoC internal connection and drivers
       will know themselves how to configure it
   (c) "ceu0_1: videolink at 0" is a chile of the OV772x node
   (d) "csi2_0_1: videolink at 0" is a child of the IMX074 camera sensor node
   (e) "imx074_1: videolink at 1" is a child of the CSI-2 node
   (f) "ceu0: videolink at 0" is a child of the CSI-2 node - also might not
       be required

5. Remote node references in videolinks are unidirectional. I.e.,
videolink nodes on downstream devices (e.g., the bridge) reference
phandles of upstream nodes (e.g., sensors), but not the other way round.
This should be sufficient for the proposed probing method:
   (a) external subdevices like sensors are children on their respective
       busses (e.g., I2C) and can be probed before the bridge. In this
       case probing can fail, because the master clock is not supplied
       yet. Therefore the sensor driver will have to request deferred
       probing.
   (b) the bridge device is probed, the driver instantiates the clock,
       before returning the driver registers a notifier (in this case on
       the I2C bus)
   (c) sensor .probe() is tried again, this time the clock is available,
       so, this time probing succeeds
   (d) the bridge driver notifier is called, it scans videolink child
       nodes, finds a match, gets a link to the subdevice

6. In the below example we are using the "reg" property to enumerate
videolink child nodes. Doubts have been expressed previous in thread [1]
about validity of such use. If it's proven, that "reg" shouldn't be used
in this case, a new property shall be introduced.

7. Concerning data lines. We have chosen to use "bus-width" and
"data-shift" for parallel busses and new properties "data-lanes" and
"clock-lanes" to describe pin assignment on MIPI CSI-2 devices and
additionally a "bus-width" property per videolink child of CSI-2
controllers to specify how many data lanes are actually used for this
link.

Any comments welcome.

It's been a pleasure working on this together with Sylwester, it is a pity
he won't be coming to the KS this time, hopefully, we'll continue this
cooperation during upcoming discussion and implementation phases.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/50755
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.samsung-soc/11143

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
http://www.open-technology.de/

// Describe an imaginary configuration: a CEU serving either a parallel ov7725
// sensor, or a serial imx074 sensor, connected over a CSI-2 SoC interface
//
// Any vendor-specific properties here are only provided as examples. The
// emphasis is on common media properties. If any of mentioned here vendor-
// specific properties seem to be common enough, they can be promoted to
// generic ones.

	ceu0 at 0xfe910000 {
		compatible = "renesas,sh-mobile-ceu";
		reg = <0xfe910000 0xa0>;
		interrupts = <0x880>;
		bus-width = <16>;		/* #lines routed on the board */
		#address-cells = <1>;
		#size-cells = <0>;

		mclk: master_clock {
			compatible = "renesas,ceu-clock";
			#clock-cells = <1>;
			clock-frequency = <50000000>;	/* max clock frequency */
			clock-output-names = "mclk";
		};

		ov772x_1_1: videolink at 1 {
			reg = <1>;		/* local pad # */
			client = <&ov772x_1 0>; /* remote phandle and pad # */
			bus-width = <8>;	/* used data lines */
			data-shift = <0>;	/* lines 7:0 are used */

			/* If [hv]sync-active are missing, embedded bt.605 sync is used */
			hsync-active = <1>;	/* active high */
			vsync-active = <1>;	/* active high */
			pclk-sample = <1>;	/* rising */
		};
		csi2_0: videolink at 0 {
			reg = <0>;
			client = <&csi2 0>;
			immutable;
		};
	};

	i2c0: i2c at 0xfff20000 {
		ov772x_1: ov772x at 0x21 {
			compatible = "omnivision,ov772x";
			reg = <0x21>;
			vddio-supply = <&regulator1>;
			vddcore-supply = <&regulator2>;
			bus-width = <10>;

			clock-frequency = <20000000>;
			clocks = <&mclk 0>;
			clock-names = "mclk"

			#address-cells = <1>;
			#size-cells = <0>;
			ceu0_1: videolink at 0 {
				reg = <0>;		/* link configuration to local pad #0 */
				bus-width = <8>;
				hsync-active = <1>;
				hsync-active = <0>;	/* who came up with an inverter here?... */
				pclk-sample = <1>;
			};
		};

		imx074: imx074 at 0x1a {
			compatible = "sony,imx074";
			reg = <0x1a>;
			vddio-supply = <&regulator1>;
			vddcore-supply = <&regulator2>;
			clock-lanes = <0>;
			data-lanes = <1>, <2>;

			clock-frequency = <30000000>;	/* shared clock with ov772x_1 */
			clocks = <&mclk 0>;
			clock-names = "mclk"

			#address-cells = <1>;
			#size-cells = <0>;
			csi2_0_1: videolink at 0 {
				reg = <0>;		/* link configuration to local pad #0 */
				bus-width = <2>;	/* 2 lanes, fixed roles, also described above */
			};
		};
	};

	csi2: csi2 at 0xffc90000 {