[RFC:PATCH dtc-1.3.0] dtc: Add --strip-disabled option to dtc.

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Aug 21 03:16:17 EST 2012

On 8/20/2012 2:37 AM, Tabi Timur-B04825 wrote:
>> --strip-disabled should still get rid for nodes marked as failed
>> as-well, because fail means something serious and un-recoverable.
>
> Well, I don't know if that's true.  Does status=fail really mean
> unrecoverable?

My intention when I first conceived of the status property is that
"fail" means that something has determined that the device is not
working properly and the software does not know how to make it work.

That is distinct from "disabled", which means that the choice has been
made not to use the device.

In the modern world of SoC with physically-unconnected functional units,
perhaps a new value would be appropriate: status="unused".