<Query> Reg: Adding a gpio initialization sequence in dts is valid or not

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 23:30:20 EST 2012

On 08/08/2012 04:52 AM, Leela Krishna Amudala wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I came across that to set power to an LCD, few panels require a pull
> up/pull down operation on single GPIO line
> and few panels need some gpio line setting sequence with some delay in between.
>
> For my development board, user manual says that I have to do a
> sequence of gpio line settings with some delay in between
> to set power to LCD and currently I'm doing it as
>
> pull_up(gpio_line_5)
> some_delay(x)
> pull_down(gpio_line_5)
> some_delay(x)
> pull_up(gpio_line_5)
>
> I want to read this GPIO line from device tree and parse it and do the
> above sequence in the driver.
> I'm thinking to follow the below approach to get this done.

See the thread "runtime interpreted power sequences"

> Putting the sequence in dts file like below for an LCD which requires
> gpio sequence
>                lcd-reset-gpio = <&gpx1 5 1 3 0>,    (3 - for pull up)
>                                       <&gpx1 5 1 1 0>,    (1 - for pull down)
>                                       <&gpx1 5 1 3 0>;    (3 - for pull up)
>                delay = x;
>
> and only one gpio entry in the case of LCD which doesn't require gpio
> sequence setting
>                lcd-reset-gpio = <&gpx1 5 1 3 0>,    (3 - pull up)
>
> The 4 arguments in the above handle denotes
>
> <[phandle of the gpio controller node]
>       [pin number within the gpio controller]
>       [mux function]
>       [pull up/down]
>       [drive strength]>

The gpio controller defines the number of gpio cells. So technically you
could do that if you're defining the gpio controller's binding, but I
don't think thats a good idea. If the binding is already defined, then
you can't really change it anyway.

Rob