Appended devicetree with Torvalds' HEAD

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Mon Sep 19 17:48:23 EST 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre at linaro.org> wrote:

> What I do to thest it here is along those lines:
>
>        make <whatever_foo_defconfig_you_want>
>        make zImage
>        cat foobar.dtb >> arch/arm/boot/zImage
>        make uImage

BTW this sequence does not work, and that is why I wrote the patch
attaching the DTB from a specified file in the first place.

After you have issued "cat foobar.dtb >> arch/arm/boot/zImage"
and you issue "make uImage" the zImage is rebuilt and
overwrites your zImage, since the timestamp changes.

So they mkimage command creating the uImage has to be
issued outside of the kernel build with

mkimage <various parameters> zImage uImage

Which is very inconvenient, but as I understood it, this was
intended.

Just making sure it is as inconvenient as you'd want it, and not
overly inconvenient...

For testing uImage I'm using my patch, of course, it's the easiest
way to get a uImage with attached device tree out. I guess
most people wanting to use uImages with attached trees will
use that out-of-tree patch too...

Linus Walleij