[ccan] ccan tools won't make for me

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Nov 10 22:50:43 EST 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 05:24:18 pm Bart Grantham wrote:
> I'm using CentOS 5.3 in a virtual on my laptop.  I unpacked the
> tarball (most recent one off the website, MD5
> fa755f50df1413d01a2ce356fcef137f) and tried "make tools".  It bombs
> while compiling ccanlint:
>
> cc -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wold-style-definition
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Werror -I. -MD   -c -o
> tools/ccanlint/tests/examples_compile.o
> tools/ccanlint/tests/examples_compile.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> tools/ccanlint/tests/examples_compile.c: In function ‘add_func’:
> tools/ccanlint/tests/examples_compile.c:145: warning: implicit
> declaration of function ‘isblank’
> make: *** [tools/ccanlint/tests/examples_compile.o] Error 1

Weird... You can substitute isspace here anyway.  I'll do that since
isspace is in ANSI C, isblank is ISO.

> I had a couple other problems too.  One is bizarre and will be
> difficult to recreate, but the gist is that, because the clock on my
> virtual was significantly behind the timestamps on many of the files
> in the ccan bundle, "make" just kept whipping around in an infinite
> loop.  I have no idea why this happened, and I couldn't track it down.

Yes, make is like that...

>  Fixing the date resolved it.  The other problem is that simply
> running "make" in the ccan directory eventually results in an error
> building tdb2: "ccan/tdb2/free.c:620: warning: ‘actual’ may be used
> uninitialized in this function"

I will one day remove that toplevel target.  There's really little point
in compiling every single module, unless you're testing.  And putting them
into a single library like it does is doubly silly: symbols clash all
over the place (eg. tdb and tdb2!).

Meanwhile, make -k, or blow away tdb2, or add it to EXCLUDES= in the
Makefile.

> I was hoping to get this built so that I could contribute a
> quick-but-simple HTTP query string parser I whipped up:
> http://www.bartgrantham.com/qs/

Great!  Just copy another module, and run ccanlint.  Any questions please
ask here...

Cheers,
Rusty.