[ccan] iniparser re-branding

ndevilla at free.fr ndevilla at free.fr
Thu Nov 11 00:41:16 EST 2010

Hi guys:

Just found out today about CCAN, which sounds like a neat idea. I also found out that 'iniparser' was included in the list of modules and there are several points I would like to stress:

- The original MIT license included in iniparser has been stripped out. The whole point of the MIT license is that the license file is viral. Stripping it out simply violates the whole idea.
- Tim added his name on top of source files below mine, claiming a copyright 2009. I would appreciate adding a bit more details about what parts exactly he claims copyright on, i.e. how different is ciniparser from iniparser?

Found on this mailing-list:
"I am not the original author, I just took something that was abandoned and useful and cleaned it up a bit."
Yet my e-mail address is present in the original tarball and googling 'iniparser' would have given you the URL to the iniparser web site, which has been up since 1996. This project is not abandoned. Actually, a newer version should be released soon, including some bugfixes and enhancements suggested by many contributors. Do you plan to backport these at some point?

There are two obvious options here:
- You can fork the code, take ownership and maintain it but keep the original license somewhere, respecting the MIT license terms.
- You can uplink to the original project and submit patches. That is what Samba and SuSE folks did.

I have no trouble with either one, just pick what suits you best but please respect the license.

-- Nicolas