[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 kernel does not load

Geoff Levand geoff at infradead.org
Tue Oct 20 05:10:09 AEDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, 2015-10-19 at 15:26 +0100, Declan Malone wrote:
> I managed to get this to almost work.
>
> It seems that in order to downgrade with the custom 3.55 "special" firmware (and qa flag extra package), one needs to go into recovery mode. It won't install from xmb.

As I mentioned in my previous mail I only support otheros
on firmware 3.20 and earlier.  I know nothing about
orheros++.  You need to ask them for support.

> I downgraded to OFW 3.15, but in all the bootloaders (otheros.bld) I tried, there were problems accessing the GameOS with the ps3utils programs. For example:
> # ps3-boot-game-os
> os_area_header_verify:277: magic_num failed

You need to use the GameOS to initialize the otheros
area. See 'Step 3: Install the boot loader on the PS3™
system' here:

  https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-openplatform/manual.html

The other way is to restore it from a backup using the
ps3-flash-util.

> I had problems running the restore_vflash.sh command
> when I was in 3.55. Is that a necessary step? Your instructions never mentioned that, or the fact that you need to go to recovery
> mode to downgrade.

I think you are mistaken, those are not my instructions,
but someone else's.  As I said, I only support otheros
on firmware 3.20 and earlier.

Good luck.  If you can get an old firmware version
working, then I can give you more help.