[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 kernel does not load

Declan Malone declan.malone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 01:26:56 AEDT 2015

I managed to get this to almost work.

It seems that in order to downgrade with the custom 3.55 "special" firmware
(and qa flag extra package), one needs to go into recovery mode. It won't
install from xmb.

I downgraded to OFW 3.15, but in all the bootloaders (otheros.bld) I tried,
there were problems accessing the GameOS with the ps3utils programs. For
example:

# ps3-boot-game-os
os_area_header_verify:277: magic_num failed
os_area_header_read:70: invalid os_area_header
main:551: os_area_read_hp error.
ERROR: can't change boot flag

I had to install Debian twice on 3.15. I used debootstrap with an old
live squeeze image I had and installed it into /dev/ps3da1.
Unfortunately,
both times when I eventually shut down and went back into the Game OS
(via recovery mode), the system complained about the system
 having become corrupted so I had to start again.

After the second time this happened I got into a loop where the system
told me that "The system software cannot be run correctly" and
that I had to reinstall the firmware. I don't know. This might be a
disk error. Whatever it is, my system is now unusable.

If I do get the system working again, I'd like to get the ps3utils
programs working correctly. Is there some other step that needs to be
done on the 3.55 CFW to undo some patches before downgrading to 3.15?
I had problems running the restore_vflash.sh command
when I was in 3.55. Is that a necessary step? Your instructions never
mentioned that, or the fact that you need to go to recovery
mode to downgrade.

I'm mildly annoyed that I now have a broken system, but maybe it's a
sign I should just give up on PS3 altogether.