[Cbe-oss-dev] Fwd: PS3 kernel does not load

Declan Malone declan.malone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 06:46:25 AEDT 2015

Hi again,

First off, I'm not actually in a position to anything with the machine
right now until I can figure out why it's stuck in a loop. I
may need to buy a new hard disk for it, but that's not a priority for
me right now.

Second, I actually did have my system downgraded to the official 3.15
firmware. Once I had the system at 3.15, I did follow
the official instructions (Sony's "open" platform one you linked to),
but since it didn't include a link to an otheros.bld file,
I tried a variety of files I could find, including:

* petitboot home page on ozlabs
* your files on kernel.org (under people/geoff)
* one included in an old live Debian squeeze install CD image

All three gave the same kinds of error messages with the embedded ps3 utilities.

FWIW, I did try out the official 4.2.3 stable kernel sources on it,
but it didn't boot. I didn't get to try your ps3-linux git sources,
though.

Finally, I was under the impression that you had written the
instructions on gitbrew that began:

   == Install OtherOS on HDD (for all PS3 models)

   All tools are here: http://gitbrew.org/~glevand/ps3/

   NOTICE: All my tools should beep. If you don't get beep during one
of the steps below
           then stop doing anything and contact me. I will help.
           OtherOS++ support: irc.gitbrew.org (ssl) #otheros

   ALL PS3 MODELS ARE SUPPORTED !!!

    1. Install my latest CFW [...]

These were the instructions that I had used a long time ago to install
the custom 3.55 kernel and, from there, Linux.

A similar page on gitbrew.org also had instructions for going back to
3.15, which I followed apart from the step of booting
into recovery mode, which wasn't mentioned, and the restore_vflash
script, which failed.

I'm confused that those instructions seem to be written by you and
point to a site with your name. Is this other glevand not you?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Regards,
Dec