[Cbe-oss-dev] Real Time Clock incorrect on PS3

Mauro Montenegro mauro.montenegro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 01:02:15 EST 2013

Hello Geoffrey! Thank you so much for responding! I really never expected
to talk or get help from an engineer at SONY. For me it is a great
privilege and an honor! It makes me feel very lucky and proud.
Turning to the problem that I am having .. I'll see if I can be clear
enough .. and I hope the Google translator interpret well what I'm trying
to express.
I'll answer for parts .. and then clarify other things.

To view a copy of the game you use offset 'ps3-flash-util - game-time'.

When I run the command "ps3-flash-util - game-time" operating system Red
Ribbon RC7 .. threw me initially set to 0 (zero). Ultimately .. this was
what gave me the command "ps3-flash-util-s"

root at redribbon:/home/ps3# ps3-flash-util -s
ps3-flash-util (ps3-utils) 2.3-1
header: 1: h.magic_num 'cell_ext_os_area'
header: 1: h.hdr_version: 1
header: 1: h.db_area_offset: 2
header: 1: h.ldr_area_offset: 4
header: 1: h.ldr_format: 0 (raw)
header: 1: h.ldr_size: 7969924 (799c84h)
param: 2: p.boot_flag: 1 (other-os)
param: 2: p.num_params: 0
param: 2: p.rtc_diff 0
param: 2: p.av_multi_out 0
param: 2: p.ctrl_button: 0
param: 2: p.static_ip_addr: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.network_mask: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.default_gateway: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.dns_primary: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.dns_secondary: 0.0.0.0
db: 3: db.magic_num: '-db-'
db: 3: db.version: 1
db: 3: db.index_64: 24
db: 3: db.count_64: 57
db: 3: db.index_32: 544
db: 3: db.count_32: 57
db: 3: db.index_16: 836
db: 3: db.count_16: 57
rtc: 4: 0

Later .. kept researching these applications probee the ps3-tools. I
started to try to interpret the code .. and I saw that in one part .. entering
the judgment "ps3-flash-util -db-write-dword 2 1 1362744807" and then
re-run the command "ps3-flash-util -s" what I was screen printed in the
following.

[...]
rtc: 4: 1362744807

I only modified the value "rtc: 4:" without causing any effect on the RTC
console.
Another thing I did .. was to synchronize the time of the operating system
.. through synchronization with internet .. and then execute the command
"hwclock -w" .. and updated the time .. I that I re-run the command
"hwclock -D" showed me the difference in epoch seconds or right until the
day of the current date. But when I restarted the console .. all again as
before .. the date of 2006.
So I started researching what I could do to change the
os_area_params.rtc_diff .. So I found a way to do it .. editing a code I
found on the internet .. which was originally developed to modify the value
of os_area_params.boot_flag to initiate the OtherOS. So I modified the
values .. and could achieve change it in the registry .. and I ended up
being something.

root at redribbon:/home/ps3# ps3-flash-util -s
ps3-flash-util (ps3-utils) 2.3-1
header: 1: h.magic_num 'cell_ext_os_area'
header: 1: h.hdr_version: 1
header: 1: h.db_area_offset: 2
header: 1: h.ldr_area_offset: 4
header: 1: h.ldr_format: 0 (raw)
header: 1: h.ldr_size: 7969924 (799c84h)
param: 2: p.boot_flag: 1 (other-os)
param: 2: p.num_params: 0
param: 2: p.rtc_diff 1362744807
param: 2: p.av_multi_out 0
param: 2: p.ctrl_button: 0
param: 2: p.static_ip_addr: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.network_mask: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.default_gateway: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.dns_primary: 0.0.0.0
param: 2: p.dns_secondary: 0.0.0.0
db: 3: db.magic_num: '-db-'
db: 3: db.version: 1
db: 3: db.index_64: 24
db: 3: db.count_64: 57
db: 3: db.index_32: 544
db: 3: db.count_32: 57
db: 3: db.index_16: 836
db: 3: db.count_16: 57
rtc: 4: 1362744807

The program I I generated .. or together with the. self .. found at:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/109578126/ajustartc.zip (He sent them out if you
are curious to see what it was that I did)
Continued ..
Ultimately .. all I did .. had no positive effect. The console still worked
the same way. The games are still throwing the error 8001050F and trophies
can not install on the hard drive.

To Set the other os (linux) offset offset to the game you use
'ps3-rtc-init --force'.

Execute the statement "ps3-rtc-init --force" .. but I could not get
anything. The only thing I could see that sentence .. is to copy the value
that is in "p.rtc_diff" and saves "rtc: 4:" .. nothing more.

To be Able to Set the RTC offset your kernel must have the PS3 RTC
support module loaded or built in to the kernel.

Al rtc-ps3.c module operating system has it. I looked it up .. and is. I do
not remember which folder you stay .. but it is.

Lately I've been researching these tools ps3dm ps3vuart-tools-tools and
created by ud. It took a while to understand .. but based on some examples
.. could achieve interpret.
Well .. what I did was execute the "sudo ./ps3dm srtc set_time 1362744807"
.. and execute the "sudo ./ps3dm srtc get_time 0" threw me the courage I
had seteado theoretically in the RTC .. obviously adherence seconds apart
that led me to write the command line to see what value was the RTC .. but
when I came to execute the "hwclock --debug" I was showing 2006.
What catches my eye .. is not that stores that value I entered when I ran
the ps3dm set_time the srtc. Because when I turned off the console .. the
disconnected .. the reconnected .. the lit .. and execute the statement
again ps3dm get_time the srtc .. I showed him that I had entered value .. with
the latter that I had taken in the console off and back on.
So exactly what could not be. Honestly is frustrating me. I know nothing
about programming .. or too little .. but I have knowledge of C language
functions .. but I've tried everything .. and I can not adjust the RTC
console (crying)
I want to ask a question .. why can not set starting value RTC console? It
is a hardware defect? I thought it was only problem with the issue of leap
year in 2010 .. or 2008 .. do not remember .. but that 28 or 29 February
many had problems with their consoles .. since they threw that error .. the
8001050F.
Can be generated by the tool you have the ability to modify the RTC .. and
sheer bad luck mine is not changing in this console because maybe I can be
that this console has a defect in the electronic
What I think is that one thing is the time of GameOS .. and one of OtherOS
.. Also other is the time the command Sets set_time ps3dm tool. But what I
am sure .. is that the RTC value .. which accuses me that is set in the
year 2006 .. is real .. ie .. time base of the console .. and that the
other .. is all fictional.

And I think that's all for now. Do not remember doing more than that.
Greetings!