[Cbe-oss-dev] Debian Live for PS3 project dead?

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Tue Nov 18 07:10:34 EST 2008

thegame4121982 at msn.com wrote:
>     Hi, anyone know if the Debian Live for PS3 project has ceased
> http://www.keshi.org/moin/PS3/Debian/Live?

That info is now long out of date, almost two years old.

> I know that it is now
> possible to install Debian using the official Debian CD and DVD images
> for powerpc but it does not work out of the box. Seems like the Debian
> kernel does not have proper or any support for the PS3

I asked the Debian kernel maintainers to enable the powerpc kernel
config options needed for the PS3.  I tested the 4.0r5 DVD and the
testing installer of 2008.11.13, but neither of the kernels in
these worked with the PS3.  Both crashed very early before the
display was working.

> at all as you
> need the vmlinux image from the linux cell addon CD to even start the
> installation program for Debian to run on the PS3. What needs to be done
> so that the Debian CD/DVD images for powerpc work on the PS3 out of the
> box.

Testing needs to be done to figure out what changes are needed to the
Debian powerpc kernel to make it work on the PS3.  Those changes
need to be given to the Debian kernel maintainers.  I currently have no
time to do this.

> Also is it possible to somehow make custom Debian install CDs from
> the official images to work out of the box for the PS3?

It is not good to fork from the main Debian distro.  It is best to
forward changes to Debian maintainers.