[Cbe-oss-dev] cannot boot newer kernels on PS3

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Sat May 10 01:32:31 EST 2008

Andrew Friedley wrote:
> (sorry, forgot to hit reply-all)
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> Geoff Levand wrote:
>  > Andrew Friedley wrote:
>  >> I'm running FC6 on an early 20gb-model PS3 (the 20gb disk was
> replaced with a 120gb).  The system works fine; I was even able to
> compile my own 2.6.21-rc7 kernel from the 20070516 addons CD, using my
> own fairly modified kernel config.
>  >
>  >
>  > I highly recommend, if possible, to upgrade to Fedora 8.
>
> I went ahead and upgraded one of my ps3's to the Fedora 9 preview.  Or
> is there a specific reason I should use 8?  Unfortunately I'm still
> having pretty much the same problem.
>
>  >> Lately I've been trying to build a new kernel.  I've tried using the
> source in linux-2.6.24-20080131.tar.bz2 from the 20080201 addons CD as
> well as a git pull from earlier today with no luck.  Here's the git tree
> I used:
>  >>
>  >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git
>  >
>  >
>  > Please specify the commit version, as that code is changed almost daily.
>  > 'git-show --pretty=oneline' will work.
>
> Here's what I get, though I admit I know almost nothing about git:
>
> 4558e68d57e2547077ee796d7e53e215837ae6b3 Merge branch 'master' of
> master.kernel.org:/
>
> Shouldn't this reflect your PS3-specific tree somehow?
>
>  > To start, I recommend you use the mainline linux-2.6.25 stable sources
>  > from kernel.org.
>
> Tried these sources in addition to the 2.6.24 sources from the 20080201
> addons, using the same process I described in my original email below
> (using default ps3_defconfig).  Both kernels hang at the same place
> before.  However the screen now goes blank, as opposed to the text from
> kboot remaining on the screen.  Nothing else seems to happen.

It seems it could be your video mode.  Can you ssh into it?
Try adding 'video=720p' or 'video=480p' or 'video=576p'
to the kernel command line.

You could try differnet vido modes from kboot with ps3-video-mode
or by installing petitboot:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-petitboot

>  >> Using either kernel source, I did the following to try and
> build/boot a new kernel with the default config:
>  >>
>  >> make ps3_defconfig
>  >> make
>  >> make modules_install
>  >> cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.6.24
>
>  > This is maybe OK.  Could try to add 'video=safe'.
>
> Tried this.  No change.

What toolchain are you using?

>  >> I realize I haven't set up an initrd in the process above, though
> I've tried doing so in the same manner I did for the 2.6.21 kernel to no
> avail.  The problem doesn't seem to be related to anything initrd.
>  >
>  >
>  > It should at least start to boot with ps3_defconfig and no initrd.
>
> Yes, that is what I thought and expected.
>

>  > * What kboot are you using?  At the kboot prompt type 'uname -a'.
>  > Then try to install the latest kboot from here:
>  >
>  >   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-kboot/
>
> The version I installed with Fedora 9 & 20080201 addons shows a 2.6.24
> kernel, compiled Jan 30.  The fedora 6 install is using a kboot with a
> 2.6.16 kernel.  Is the 2.6.24-based kboot new enough?

That's the latest, and if it could boot the fedora 9 install kernel, then
it should be OK.