[Cbe-oss-dev] cannot boot newer kernels on PS3

Andrew Friedley afriedle at indiana.edu
Fri May 9 23:40:58 EST 2008

(sorry, forgot to hit reply-all)

Thanks for the response!

Geoff Levand wrote:
 > Andrew Friedley wrote:
 >> I'm running FC6 on an early 20gb-model PS3 (the 20gb disk was
replaced with a 120gb).  The system works fine; I was even able to
compile my own 2.6.21-rc7 kernel from the 20070516 addons CD, using my
own fairly modified kernel config.

 > I highly recommend, if possible, to upgrade to Fedora 8.

I went ahead and upgraded one of my ps3's to the Fedora 9 preview.  Or
is there a specific reason I should use 8?  Unfortunately I'm still
having pretty much the same problem.

 >> Lately I've been trying to build a new kernel.  I've tried using the
source in linux-2.6.24-20080131.tar.bz2 from the 20080201 addons CD as
well as a git pull from earlier today with no luck.  Here's the git tree
I used:

 >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git
 >

 > Please specify the commit version, as that code is changed almost daily.
 > 'git-show --pretty=oneline' will work.

Here's what I get, though I admit I know almost nothing about git:

4558e68d57e2547077ee796d7e53e215837ae6b3 Merge branch 'master' of
master.kernel.org:/

Shouldn't this reflect your PS3-specific tree somehow?

 > To start, I recommend you use the mainline linux-2.6.25 stable sources
 > from kernel.org.

Tried these sources in addition to the 2.6.24 sources from the 20080201
addons, using the same process I described in my original email below
(using default ps3_defconfig).  Both kernels hang at the same place
before.  However the screen now goes blank, as opposed to the text from
kboot remaining on the screen.  Nothing else seems to happen.

 >> Using either kernel source, I did the following to try and
build/boot a new kernel with the default config:

 >> make ps3_defconfig
 >> make
 >> make modules_install
 >> cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.6.24

 > This is maybe OK.  Could try to add 'video=safe'.

Tried this.  No change.

 >> I realize I haven't set up an initrd in the process above, though
I've tried doing so in the same manner I did for the 2.6.21 kernel to no
avail.  The problem doesn't seem to be related to anything initrd.

 > It should at least start to boot with ps3_defconfig and no initrd.

Yes, that is what I thought and expected.

 > * What kboot are you using?  At the kboot prompt type 'uname -a'.
 > Then try to install the latest kboot from here:
 >
 >   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-kboot/

The version I installed with Fedora 9 & 20080201 addons shows a 2.6.24
kernel, compiled Jan 30.  The fedora 6 install is using a kboot with a
2.6.16 kernel.  Is the 2.6.24-based kboot new enough?

 > * what system firmware version are you using?  Try to upgrade to the
latest.

Upgraded to v2.30 on both the fedora 6 and 9 systems -- didn't seem to
change anything.

Andrew