[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems getting 1080p in the PS3

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Sun Jan 6 08:21:07 EST 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Jim Paris wrote:
> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > Hmm... but why can't the hardware and/or software show the image correctly?
> >  I can understand the need for overscan in the past, but with flat panels
> > and digital connections?  And also considering that the laptop is able to
> > show 1920x1200 without issues...
>
> Is your laptop connected via HDMI or DVI?  The manual says DVI-D doesn't
> overscan.  Using a HDMI to DVI adapter therefore should fix your
> problem.

I saw it with both HDMI/DVI-D (digital) and component (analog).

Apparently TV business people don't care about exact pixels. E.g. most HD Ready
TVs (not Full HD) have physical resolutions like 1366x768, so 720p becomes
fuzzy, too.

> > The thing is, do I have to blame the hardware, or could there be some
> > possible driver fix for the issue?
>
> It's the monitor doing this, not the PS3.

Indeed.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619