[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3-linux.git: legacy bootloader hack to be removed

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Tue Sep 18 11:20:33 EST 2007

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Geoff Levand wrote:
>
>> After linux-2.6.23 is released I will remove the hack that allows
>> the ps3-linux.git kernel to be loaded from linux-2.6.16 based
>> bootloaders.
>>
>> All users of ps3-linux.git will need to update to a linux-2.6.23
>> based bootloader.  To check the bootloader version, from the kboot
>> prompt type:
>>
>>   uname -rv
>>

>> The latest kboot is here:
>>
>>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/
>> kboot-20070831.bld
>
> I have flashed our PS3 with this image and it won't boot any more
> automatically.  The problem is that kboot does not mount the root
> file system, so it does not find the correct kboot.conf and cannot
> load our setup.

At the kboot prompt you can type 'mount' to see if kboot does mount
the file system or not.  You can also type 'fdisk -l' to see what
kboot sees your partitions as.

> Based on e2label, I see that /dev/ps3da1 correctly has '/' as its
> label, so kboot should be finding it... but it doesn't.  The
> installed Fedora 6 system finds this without problems (it also uses
> LABEL=/ in fstab).
>
> If I use '/dev/ps3da1:/boot/...' manually from the kboot prompt, I
> can make the machine boot, but this is just a workaround.  Any idea?

It is difficult to say why it is not found.  Please check the section
'(4) Mounting File system' that describe how kboot searches for the
root FS and kboot.conf here:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20070831-ADDON/doc/HowToUsePS3Linux.html