[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3-linux.git: legacy bootloader hack to be removed

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Tue Sep 25 00:23:21 EST 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Geoff Levand wrote:
> > After linux-2.6.23 is released I will remove the hack that allows
> > the ps3-linux.git kernel to be loaded from linux-2.6.16 based
> > bootloaders.
> >
> > All users of ps3-linux.git will need to update to a linux-2.6.23
> > based bootloader.  To check the bootloader version, from the kboot
> > prompt type:
> >
> >   uname -rv
> >

> > The latest kboot is here:
> >
> >   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/
> > kboot-20070831.bld
>
> I have flashed our PS3 with this image and it won't boot any more
> automatically.  The problem is that kboot does not mount the root
> file system, so it does not find the correct kboot.conf and cannot
> load our setup.
>
> Based on e2label, I see that /dev/ps3da1 correctly has '/' as its
> label, so kboot should be finding it... but it doesn't.  The
> installed Fedora 6 system finds this without problems (it also uses
> LABEL=/ in fstab).
>
> If I use '/dev/ps3da1:/boot/...' manually from the kboot prompt, I
> can make the machine boot, but this is just a workaround.  Any idea?

Is the `bootable' flag set for the partition (using fdisk)?

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619