[Cbe-oss-dev] ps3-linux.git: legacy bootloader hack to be removed

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Fri Sep 14 20:23:36 EST 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Geoff Levand wrote:

> After linux-2.6.23 is released I will remove the hack that allows
> the ps3-linux.git kernel to be loaded from linux-2.6.16 based
> bootloaders.
>
> All users of ps3-linux.git will need to update to a linux-2.6.23
> based bootloader.  To check the bootloader version, from the kboot
> prompt type:
>
>   uname -rv
>

> The latest kboot is here:
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/
> kboot-20070831.bld

I have flashed our PS3 with this image and it won't boot any more
automatically.  The problem is that kboot does not mount the root
file system, so it does not find the correct kboot.conf and cannot
load our setup.

Based on e2label, I see that /dev/ps3da1 correctly has '/' as its
label, so kboot should be finding it... but it doesn't.  The
installed Fedora 6 system finds this without problems (it also uses
LABEL=/ in fstab).

If I use '/dev/ps3da1:/boot/...' manually from the kboot prompt, I
can make the machine boot, but this is just a workaround.  Any idea?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>