[Cbe-oss-dev] question about ps3_gelic driver

Masakazu Mokuno mokuno at sm.sony.co.jp
Wed Oct 10 18:59:33 EST 2007

Hi Stefan,

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:14:26 +0200
Stefan Assmann <sassmann at suse.de> wrote:

> I was wondering why the ps3_gelic driver uses /dev/eth0 for ethernet and
> wireless lan? Will this stay this way? Wouldn't the approach to have
> /dev/eth0 for ethernet and maybe /dev/eth1 for wireless lan be more
> convenient? Maybe there are good reasons for this approach and I don't
> know them yet...

The PS3 ethernet and wireless share the mac address, hardware queue, and
interrupts.
That is the reason why the original author chose the design that one
ethX interface drives ethernet or wireless like as the hardwares share.

I'm working on rewriting wireless (and some of ethernet part) driver and
I have plan to separate them into two ethX interfaces like you suggested.

Even if the work is completed, the restriction that ethernet and
wireless share one mac address will remain.

> At the moment this troubles me a little because the device is recognized
> as a wireless device if GELIC_WIRELESS is enabled and this confuses the
> suse installer.
>
>     Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Assmann          | SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
> Software Engineer       | Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
> Mail : sassmann at suse.de | GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)

Masakazu MOKUNO