[Cbe-oss-dev] question about ps3_gelic driver

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Wed Oct 10 19:14:07 EST 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Masakazu Mokuno wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:14:26 +0200
> Stefan Assmann <sassmann at suse.de> wrote:
> > I was wondering why the ps3_gelic driver uses /dev/eth0 for ethernet and
> > wireless lan? Will this stay this way? Wouldn't the approach to have
> > /dev/eth0 for ethernet and maybe /dev/eth1 for wireless lan be more
> > convenient? Maybe there are good reasons for this approach and I don't
> > know them yet...
>
> The PS3 ethernet and wireless share the mac address, hardware queue, and
> interrupts.
> That is the reason why the original author chose the design that one
> ethX interface drives ethernet or wireless like as the hardwares share.
>
> I'm working on rewriting wireless (and some of ethernet part) driver and
> I have plan to separate them into two ethX interfaces like you suggested.
>
> Even if the work is completed, the restriction that ethernet and
> wireless share one mac address will remain.

I'm wondering how the udev persistent-net rules will handle multiple eth*
devices with the same MAC address...

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619