[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 boot game os flag no longer honoured

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Sun Jun 3 19:11:44 EST 2007

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 fer at mts.net wrote:
> I'm using Geoff's git tree, I worship him for maintaining this.  For the
> last month or so, (not sure exactly which build started this behavior),
> there was a change to the block devices used on the PS3.  All appears fine
> with the new devices (/dev/ps3da*, /dev/ps3flash), but when using
> other-os-flash-util to set the boot flag on /dev/ps3flash, it appears set
> but does not reboot the Game OS.  After reboot, Flag still claims to be set
> (according to other-os-flash-util).

That's strange... I'll take a look at it tomorrow. While I don't boot to GameOS
regularly, it did work last time I tried.

Does other-os-flash-util on kernel 2.6.16 (e.g. your kboot bootloader kernel,
if you still use the original one?) report the flag is set?

> I've check Geoff's source for the latest ps3pf utils, but the os-flash
> utilities appear basically unchanged and not useful for >2.6.21 builds.
> Forgive my blatant ignorance, while being a developer, I've never developed
> kernel drivers or the like, so I know I'm out of my league here.  I'm just
> curious if anyone has any info on this, and what I might be doing wrong,
> such as trying to use /dev/ps3flash when it's not meant for this.  My latest
> build from git is 2.6.22-rc3-g68f05783-dirty with this issue.

/dev/ps3flash is indeed the correct device to use with other-os-flash-util on
recent kernels.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1