[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 boot game os flag no longer honoured

fer at mts.net fer at mts.net
Sun Jun 3 13:09:55 EST 2007

Apologies to the group for yet another PS3 problem which probably isn't
related to any specific kernel issue.

I'm using Geoff's git tree, I worship him for maintaining this.  For the
last month or so, (not sure exactly which build started this behavior),
there was a change to the block devices used on the PS3.  All appears fine
with the new devices (/dev/ps3da*, /dev/ps3flash), but when using
other-os-flash-util to set the boot flag on /dev/ps3flash, it appears set
but does not reboot the Game OS.  After reboot, Flag still claims to be set
(according to other-os-flash-util).

I've check Geoff's source for the latest ps3pf utils, but the os-flash
utilities appear basically unchanged and not useful for >2.6.21 builds.
Forgive my blatant ignorance, while being a developer, I've never developed
kernel drivers or the like, so I know I'm out of my league here.  I'm just
curious if anyone has any info on this, and what I might be doing wrong,
such as trying to use /dev/ps3flash when it's not meant for this.  My latest
build from git is 2.6.22-rc3-g68f05783-dirty with this issue.

And on behalf of every end user out here, thanks millions to all you folk
for your amazing work and dedication.  It does not go unappreciated.  I wish
I could do more than be some half-wit beta tester.  Cheers,

fer