[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 performance analysis - errors on loading cellperfctr module

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Dec 13 09:27:06 EST 2007

On Wednesday 12 December 2007, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > In this case a kernel that provides SPE context switches
> > notifications to
> > the PDT kernel module should be made available to the PS3.
>
> Is that module really so kernel dependent?  Based on my understanding
> of the spufs code, implementing this notification feature seems
> trivial.  Even I spotted a couple of public functions that have no
> callers in spufs, so I assume they are there just because of the PDT
> kernel module.  So... are the sources of this module public?  If not,
> why not?

The sources are of course public, because the module links to the kernel,
IBM provides the source code for all Linux kernel modules under the GPL.
I just never included them in the kernel tree because the user interface
provided by the module is not suitable for upstream integration.

I believe that the PDT package comes with a copy of the source which
is built against the installed kernel when you install PDT, and it
should work with most recent kernel versions.

If the installation procedure is different, Uzi can probably point
you to the download URL for that module.

	Arnd <><