[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 performance analysis - errors on loading cellperfctr module

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Thu Dec 13 20:45:28 EST 2007

On 12/12/2007, at 23:27, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 December 2007, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>>> In this case a kernel that provides SPE context switches
>>> notifications to
>>> the PDT kernel module should be made available to the PS3.
>>
>> Is that module really so kernel dependent?  Based on my understanding
>> of the spufs code, implementing this notification feature seems
>> trivial.  Even I spotted a couple of public functions that have no
>> callers in spufs, so I assume they are there just because of the PDT
>> kernel module.  So... are the sources of this module public?  If not,
>> why not?
>
> The sources are of course public, because the module links to the
> kernel,
> IBM provides the source code for all Linux kernel modules under the
> GPL.

Well, there are some kernel modules out there for which the source is
not available -- the most clear example being the nVidia drivers --,
so I considered this possibility.  But it's cool to know that they are.

> I just never included them in the kernel tree because the user
> interface
> provided by the module is not suitable for upstream integration.

OK.

> I believe that the PDT package comes with a copy of the source which
> is built against the installed kernel when you install PDT, and it
> should work with most recent kernel versions.

The pdt-module RPM package does not include the sources:

 > rpm -q --filesbypkg pdt-module
pdt-module                /usr/lib/modules/pdt.ko

And the SDK ISOs do not include the corresponding SRPMs.

I've been looking at the BSC site, because as I understand it is the
point for redistribution of the free SDK components, and haven't
found the module nor the sources.  Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thank you,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>