[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 performance analysis - errors on loading cellperfctr module

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Thu Dec 13 09:13:33 EST 2007

On 12/12/2007, at 19:35, Uzi Shvadron wrote:

> "Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmerino at ac.upc.edu> wrote on 12/12/2007
> 18:12:59:
>
>> But consider that many PS3 are being used for research, and in those
>> cases it is not uncommon to try to simulate busy boxes to see how the
>> applications behave when they are not alone.  At least that's what
>> I'm doing now.
>>
>> (And given that there is people porting all kinds of different
>> applications to the Cell, with the primary focus on using them on the
>> PS3, I can expect that there will be situations where the SPEs will
>> be overcommitted.)
>
> In this case a kernel that provides SPE context switches
> notifications to
> the PDT kernel module should be made available to the PS3.

Is that module really so kernel dependent?  Based on my understanding
of the spufs code, implementing this notification feature seems
trivial.  Even I spotted a couple of public functions that have no
callers in spufs, so I assume they are there just because of the PDT
kernel module.  So... are the sources of this module public?  If not,
why not?

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>