[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems booting PS3 kernel

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Sun Apr 22 02:34:36 EST 2007

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On 18/04/2007, at 16:11, Uytterhoeven, Geert wrote:
>

>> Before you had to boot arch/powerpc/boot/zImage.ps3.
>> Now you have to use vmlinux.strip instead:
>>
>> | $ file arch/powerpc/boot/zImage.ps3 vmlinux.strip
>> | arch/powerpc/boot/zImage.ps3: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC
>> or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
>> | vmlinux.strip:                ELF 64-bit MSB executable, cisco
>> 7500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
>
> Cool, thank you.  It boots fine now.
>
> However, this makes me think something is broken.  I use 'make rpm-
> pkg' to build the kernel and later install the resulting rpm
> manually.  Therefore, it seems rpm-pkg is packaging up the wrong
> kernel image, because I see nothing similar to vmlinux.strip in /
> boot...  Any idea about why?

Using vmlinux.strip is just for convenience during development, as
it is smaller so faster to load, especially over a network.  You
can also use vmlinux, which may be installed with 'make rpm-pkg'.

   42M vmlinux
  5.1M vmlinux.strip

I would think you can make a change to scripts/package/mkspec to have
it install either if you desire.