[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems booting PS3 kernel

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Sun Apr 22 02:45:42 EST 2007

On 21/04/2007, at 18:34, Geoff Levand wrote:

> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> On 18/04/2007, at 16:11, Uytterhoeven, Geert wrote:
>>

>>> Before you had to boot arch/powerpc/boot/zImage.ps3.
>>> Now you have to use vmlinux.strip instead:

>>> or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
>>> 7500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
>>
>> Cool, thank you.  It boots fine now.
>>
>> However, this makes me think something is broken.  I use 'make rpm-
>> pkg' to build the kernel and later install the resulting rpm
>> manually.  Therefore, it seems rpm-pkg is packaging up the wrong
>> kernel image, because I see nothing similar to vmlinux.strip in /
>> boot...  Any idea about why?
>
> Using vmlinux.strip is just for convenience during development, as
> it is smaller so faster to load, especially over a network.  You
> can also use vmlinux, which may be installed with 'make rpm-pkg'.
>
>    42M vmlinux
>   5.1M vmlinux.strip
>
> I would think you can make a change to scripts/package/mkspec to have
> it install either if you desire.

The thing is I was using the RPM generated by rpm-pkg (not vmlinux
directly), and it eventually (at some rebuild) broke.  It looks like
as if the file installed by the RPM comes from a different binary
file...  (but after a quick look to the build scripts, I can't tell
why).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>