[Cbe-oss-dev] Correct way to format spufs file output.

Ulrich Weigand Ulrich.Weigand at de.ibm.com
Sun Oct 22 07:37:30 EST 2006

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 16:04 +0200, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> >
> > Dwayne McConnell wrote:
> >
> > > I think %0xllx is the way to go. I would even advocate changing
> > > signal1_type and signal2_type unless it is actually too dangerous.
> > Is
> > > there even a case where changing from %llu to %0xllx would break
> > things?
> > > Perhaps with the combination of a old library with a new kernel?
> >
> > Yes, these files are in fact used, and a change would break things.
>
> In the case of output in hex without 0x, well, those files are used by
> code that is either assuming it's hex or is already broken. Adding 0x
> might not actually break things, it depends what the use code does. If
> such code does strto(u)l, then adding 0x will still work.

The two files I was commenting about currently use %llu, i.e. they
output in *decimal*.  Changing this to hex may break user space.

This is a different situation from the *other* files, which were using
%llx, i.e. output in hex without 0x.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  GNU compiler/toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE
  Phone: +49-7031/16-3727   ---   Email: Ulrich.Weigand at de.ibm.com