[Auugps] AUUGPS

Peter Miller millerp at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Oct 30 12:32:03 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 11:42 +1100, Lawrie Brown wrote:
> I believe the Lions Award is managed by a group of trustees, and is
> distinct from AUUG (though has been managed by it). It hence is not
> bound to AUUG's constitution, but rather the trust requirements.

OK.

>  It is my
> understanding that they and the previous board have already agreed that
> the Lions Chair is the desired recipient (because the award WAS intended
> to "recognize the leading role that John Lions played in bringing UNIX
> to Australia")

Lions Chair web site says nothing specific about UNIX, which is another
thing that made me think it was a poor fit.

But, as you said, it isn't AUUG's problem, just as soon as we can pass
the ball.  Hell, do a money transfer to the personal account of one of
the trustees, today, and be done with it, today.

> , and just donating the money to say Linux Australia is
> less likely to do this.

Not suggesting unencumbered donation.
Encumber it with same conditions as now, even to keeping trustees.
But LA *do* have a conference to award the prize at.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp at canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"C++ is like jamming a helicopter inside a Miata and expecting
some sort of improvement." -- Drew Olbrich