[Auugps] AUUGPS

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Oct 30 11:42:44 EST 2008

Hi Peter

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:27:13AM +1100, Peter Miller wrote:
> >   Peter Jeremy suggested the Lions chair for the Lions fund.  That's
> I took the time to read the blurb about the Lions Chair on the web site.
> They research "operating systems" not OPEN operating systems.
> I think Linux Australia's stated aims and objectives harmonise better
> with AUUG's constitutions' requirements.

I believe the Lions Award is managed by a group of trustees, and is
distinct from AUUG (though has been managed by it). It hence is not
bound to AUUG's constitution, but rather the trust requirements. It is my
understanding that they and the previous board have already agreed that
the Lions Chair is the desired recipient (because the award WAS intended
to "recognize the leading role that John Lions played in bringing UNIX
to Australia"), and just donating the money to say Linux Australia is
less likely to do this. Its the follow through on this agreement that
has failed, and is clearly something the reconstituted board need to
address.

Chris Vance would be in a better position to clarify this.

Regards
Lawrie