[Auugps] Incorporation

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Oct 27 15:01:50 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 14:47 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> At Lawrie's prompting, Steve Jenkin did a little investigating to see
> what is involved in becoming an Incorporated Association in the ACT.

I sthat actually what we want to do? There is no requirement that we do
so, now law that demands it. Incorporation's chief advantage is legal
insulation. I doubt that we need incorporation to do what we intend to
do. If we want clarity on our intended activities, we can just do a
simple description of same and sign it.

> doesn't look to bad, actually (the hard bit is probably making up a
> sensible set of rules).  We need to do this at least in order to have the
> license for auug.org.au transferred to us.

Why? Do the .org.au rules demand an incorporated association? If so then
OK.

I have quite a lot of experience writing and modifying rules... the hard
part is actually getting the objects of the association worked out.

> The first steps along the process are for us to decide on a committee of
> some sort (at least three people) and to instruct someone to apply to the
> ACT government for incorporation.  The next thing is to make up the rules
> (or modify the Model Rules) so the application can go ahead.

I can do the rules, others will need to help with the objects. Would
prefer not to be on the committee; if needed for the numbers OK, but
only for the first year.

> I am more than happy to wear the cost of all this (it is minimal) and am
> also happy to act as the inaugural Public Officer (who has to do the
> application).

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28