OpenBMC - Support NVMe drive health monitoring

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Fri Apr 7 21:45:58 AEST 2023

On Fri, 7 Apr 2023, at 19:50, Lior Weintraub wrote:
> Hi Jet,
>
> My name is Lior Weintraub and I face exactly the same task that you
> handled 2 years ago 😊
> I found this mailing list thread on OpenBmc:
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-November/024012.html
>
> Can you please advice about the current status of this issue?
> I need to add OOB support to our NVMe device (supporting NVMe MI ->
> MCTP with SMBus binding).
> For this task we plan to buy the AST2600 development
> kit<https://portwell.com/solutions/openBMC.php> and use the OpenBMC for
> our development and testing.

Currently OpenBMC only supports NVMe-MI via the basic management command. See phosphor-nvme or nvmesensor from dbus-sensors. We're working on migrating the OpenBMC MCTP stack to the AF_MCTP sockets that are now provided by Linux.

Please help review and test Rashmica's work in Gerrit to speed that process along:

https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/topic:AF_MCTP

Along with Hao Jiang's work to exploit libnvme-mi in nvmesensor:

https://gerrit.openbmc.org/q/topic:nvme-mi

Andrew